We had a most exciting day today. After teaching this morning Isabelle and I met daddy for lunch and then headed off to the dr. for some tests. For those who don't know...On Friday Isabelle pulled down the baby monitor in our room and it bonked her on the side of the head (not very hard mind you) and when Ben went to pick her up she was not breathing, her eyes were rolling back in her head, and she was stiff as a board with her back arched. She's done this 3 other times when I've been home by myself but the first time that daddy has seen it. As with the other times it happened we were patting her, calling her name, blowing at her but nothing seemed to bring her breath back. So I ran her outside in the fresh air to see if she would breathe. By now she is a nice color of bluish, pale and doesn't look so good. I call to been to call 911 b/c I wasn't sure if she was going to be ok or not. Finally she I guess relaxed enough to take some small breaths though still VERY dusky and not totally with it. By the time the EMS got here she was back to color and seemed fine. They checked her out and said she was ok as far as they could tell. So, after calling her dr. (which she already knows about this happening) she consulted with some other dr.s and they think it's just breath holding b/c of being startled but thought we should just check things out.
So...today she had an EEG to check her heart and it looks normal. Isabelle was so good not crying and laying on the table so good UNTIL...she saw the nurse coming with something in her hand and she knew it wasn't icecream :) She started screaming. They were going to take her blood. I thought we were just getting a finger prick but no, they we actually taking blood. I was freaking out too as much as she was. The nurse started to put the needle in the vein and couldnt get the blood so had to keep trying while I was saying with tears, "Forget it, never mind, just take it out, I don't care, lets just not do it!" She said, "are you sure?" YES!! Just then she got it and the blood started coming and it was over soon after that. Whew!!!I felt so bad and ISabelle just cried and cried for a few minutes. They won't get the final results for a few days so until then they are wanting me to give her iron drops b/c sometimes breath holding spells can be b/c of low iron. We're praying that the iron issue is the only real issue. Anyways, thought you might like to hear about our day. The best part was seeing our favorite dr./friend, Erica, who was over Isabelle for a little while in the NICU~Thanks for stopping in!!!!
Yesterday we went to a NICU reunion at Furman in the afternoon and saw some of the dr.s and a few nurses but were sad not to see any of Isabelle's very special nurses. Above is a picture of Isabelle with the head dr. over her right when she was born. The best dr. we could have asked for who had been in NICU for 30years. Enjoy the pictures!!
1 comments:
Post a Comment